Technology Integration Matrix (TIM) Training Application
What is the Technology Integration Matrix?
The Technology Integration Matrix (TIM) illustrates how teachers can use technology to enhance learning for K-12 students. The TIM incorporates five interdependent characteristics of meaningful learning environments: active, constructive, goal directed (i.e., reflective), authentic, and collaborative (Jonassen, Howland, Moore, & Marra, 2003). The TIM associates five levels of technology integration (i.e., entry, adoption, adaptation, infusion, and transformation) with each of the five characteristics of meaningful learning environments. Together, the five levels of technology integration and the five characteristics of meaningful learning environments create a matrix of 25 cells, each with a description of the types of activities and technology tools used.
Resources to review each cell:
What is the Technology Integration Matrix Observation (TIM-O) Training?
The TIM-O is a flexible tool for classroom walkthroughs that can be used for formative feedback, peer coaching, grant evaluation, or professional development planning. The TIM-O is a web-based system that works on any device and requires no software installation. It’s designed to guide principals, teachers, and others through the process of evaluating the level of technology integration within a particular classroom. When completed, the tool produces a profile for the observed lesson in terms of the Technology Integration Matrix.
Broward County Public School is offering training opportunities for administrators, teachers, magnet coordinators, media specialist, and district support staff on how to effectively use the TIM- O tool when observing classrooms using technology. Participants in this training will learn how to identify the various technology integration levels and the different learning environments. Collection of this data is extremely valuable as it is a requirement to the state in order to receive our annual Digital Classrooms allocation which helps us to purchase technology and to deliver ongoing professional development.
What do you have to do to become a TIM-O Observer?
- Complete a 1-day TIM-O face-to-face training (Technology Integration Matrix Observer) at a location in Broward County Public Schools.
- Complete a 20-hour online training course (TIM for Instructional Design & Coaching) through Canvas.
- Complete the application below and obtain principal’s signature indicating approval of your training participation and ability to conduct observations during the year.
- There is a $500 stipend for completing both trainings and conducting five (5) TIM-O
observation/coaching cycles (Pre-Conference –> TIM Observation –> Coaching Session –> Follow-Up Observation). These observations can be done at your home school or any school in Broward County.
- In order to receive the $500 stipend you must complete the online course after work hours. The face-to-face training can be completed through a TDA signed by your principal.
TIM-O Observer Application
Please fill out the following application to indicate your interest in becoming a TIM-O Observer.